Sunday, December 28, 2008

Pressing 'Refresh'

     So my mom asked me to dust my room recently....it was getting a little too gross and dusty. So I woke up a little early on Sunday morning to make sure I had time to do it without killing the rest of my day. Little did I know dusting my room would turn into an all day project!   
     For a while now my mom and I have wanted to move my bed to the other side of my room so it wouldn't be on the wall underneath my windows where I can sometimes feel the cool air seeping in from outside. I mean it's not like I have really crappy windows that leak, it's just that the wall that my bed was on was on the outside of the house and got colder at night (especially since it's winter time). Anyway, I decided to take this opportunity to give my room a complete facelift, my way of pressing the 'refresh' button. 
     I started by just going through my room, piece by piece, dusting it down and emptying out the drawers when necessary. I have to admit; I am such a pack rat! I have saved so much stuff that is useless to me and it felt so good to just throw everything away and start fresh. Starting with my nightstand and moving around my room to my dresser, then my desk and the hutch above it, then the smaller set of drawers and hutch above that, and then the magnet board on my wall. In the process of cleaning all of this out I made a big bag of clothes to donate, which I always enjoy being able to do. 
     So now begins the fun part... rearranging everything! If you don't know me that well I will let
 you in on a little secret about myself, I'm a very organized person and love any opportunity wh
ere I can take advantage of a situation like this one. Bubbling with excitement I got started. First goal was to move my bed to the other side of the room, simple enough. Next, I had to tackle moving one of my pieces of furniture completely out of my roo
m. I emptied and cleaned out so much of my room that I could completely eliminate a whole set of 3 drawers and 3 hutch shelves. This may not seem like a big deal to you but my r
oom is not that big, so to me it's a huge deal when I can create more breathing space. 
   
  With the help of my mom, we successfully moved the shelves and drawers down to my basement. Next we slid the 
computer desk and shelves down, so it was cohesive with my room's new layout. 
Now at this point of my room makeover, I started to get a little nervous and worried. I felt this was because I consider my room my sanctuary, my space, my hideaway and when we started to move things around and it didn't look so fantastic at first, I got a little anxious about it. but my mom 
reminded me to just let it happen and wait to see the finished product. So I did. 
     Next we moved my night stand next to my bed, makes sense. Everything was starting to come together, and I was breathing easier. All of this was much more exciting than I thought it was going to be hahaa. We continued adjusting my furniture. First we took my dresser and moved it from it's previous wall to the one right next to that. I didn't really like the way that looked so I decided I wanted to catty-corner it. My catty-corner idea was a success and now my room was really looking good. 
     With some final touches the room was finished. My mom and I hung my mirror on my wall, drilled the tie backs for my curtains into the walls, and other little stuff like that. The one thing we weren't able to get done today was putting 
my bamboo daybed frame on my bed. The one that I'm going to be using is my mom's old frame (which is kinds cool). I'm going to get it from my grandparents house on Monday morning (tomorrow). I'll post a picture when I ge
t it all set up. 
     What w
as supposed to be a quick dusting of my room turned into an all day refresher, and I was glad it did. Who knew all of this design potential rested in my itty bitty room? I hope you guys like the way it turned out as much as I do. Let me know what you think ;] 



2 comments:

  1. yeah sleeping under a window would scare me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha it never scared me! my mom just didnt like that i was under a window where it got cold at night, very motherly of her...

    ReplyDelete